Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day

No one can quite put into words the elated feeling you get as a child when you are sitting by the television in the wee hours of the morning, watching for the list of  "Snow Day School Closures" and you see your schools name pop up on the screen! In my youth, this usually involved a few minutes of hopping up and down is pjs with lots of cheering! As an adult, and now Army Wife... I almost had a similar reaction this morning when my husband came in to tell me work was cancelled today. A stew of old emotions and thrills filled my heart, and my brain flooded with fun ideas for our "snow day".

If you are from a place in the Northern or Eastern US, what we had in Texas today was far from a traditional snow day. BUT because its Texas, El Paso to be more exact, our roads and drivers are not used to snow in the least! Before 8am today their were 18 accidents on the roads, and by dinner over 50. Seven of the eight power generators in El Paso went down over night because of the freezing ice and temps, so they had rolling power outs throughout the day to spread the power around and take pressure off the grid. We have several friends whose pipes froze or burst. Then to top off the fabulousness of this snow day work called and the hubby is HOME tomorrow too! WOOO HOO!

So, what did we do on this very rare occasion snow-cation? We spent the entire day in our PJ's! For those who do not know, we have a very snuggly 7 week old daughter. With the long hours of Army life, and the time my husband devotes to his Masters in Divinity it is rare that we get to spend alot of time with him. In the 7 weeks since our baby came home from the hospital he has had time to feed her once, and other than weekends there is only about 30 minutes of "awake" time for him to play with her each night before her bed-time. Today I took full advantage of our time, we laid on the couch with baby, watching movies. I watched my precious little tiny princess sleep on her daddys chest. We laughed with her and sang to her and enjoyed lots of memory making as a family! We put her in her moby wrap, and hung out in the kitchen cooking. This was truly a blessing to me because I usually do all the family meal prepping myself, so having Joe jump in and cook is wonderful. When we were dating he used to "woo" me with amazing kitchen skills and fancy home cooked meals! Having some surprise time today to cook together gave me a flash back to our dating days, and let me tell you his tiramisu today was amazing for a first time from scratch recipe!

What are the plans for tomorrow? I am not sure yet... but the best part is there are no rules. We can stay in pj's again, or bundle up and face the weather for a family outing to redbox! Either way, I feel crazy blessed for the gift of time this week. Thank you God for snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment