Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pick First, Think Later

How many of you were told as children "You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose?". This was a rhyme my father used to tell me as a child, so if you have not heard it than I feel sorry for your obviously deprived childhood.... jk! So to get to the point of this outrageous childhood rhyme; as I was sitting in church last night pulling a booger out of my childs' nose I couldn't help but think of this rhyme in my head and laugh. Does it count as a "friends nose" if its your child? Or, because you are half their DNA is their nose considered yours? Catching myself pondering this in the dim light of a church pew at 5:00 in the evening, I then let my brain jump to another question; how many other odd rhymes and sayings do I know from my childhood? Are these little pearls of  "parental wisdom" embedded in our brains from childhood useful?

Here is a short list of some of the "pearls" I remember:
* "Bailey, Bailey if you're able, keep your elbows off the table"

*"Children should be seen and not heard" - the two above came from my Mimi, she was grooming me to be an aristocratic brat in my opinion. LOL

* The infamous "No more monkeys jumping on the bed"

* "If you hold your face like that for too long, it will stick that way"

* "Don't swallow your gum, it will stick in your stomach for 7 years!"

* "Eating watermelon seeds will make you grow one in your belly"

* "Eat your crust, it will make your hair curly"

* "Eat your mustard, it will make your boobs grow" - Yes My Mother really said it, and who's to say it didn't work? :)

* " No, I can't always see what you are doing, but God see's everything" -this one made me cautious about going potty

There are many many more, but these were the first that came to mind. No, they are not all true. But being a parent now  I see why these "pearls" are passed on. Doing things "Because I said so" gets old to children. If they think there is a legitimate reason for them to do, or not do something its more likely that they will follow through. I like the term "pearls" to describe them, because they are just that; a round precious creation buried deep into the mush of our minds until a situation arises where it needs to be cracked open. Everyone's pearls will be different, and they will reflect the culture and family values that they came from. It really is a beautiful thing if you think about it.

Here comes the scary part.... I'm a mom now, and this means that planting these "pearls" now falls on me. What bits of knowledge and problem solving do I want to embed in my child? What do I think would be of use to her in the future? Of course it is important to learn not to jump on a bed, to brush your teeth, to share, to not pick your nose in public. But there are a slew of other "pearls" I want to plant too. I want her to know that she is a perfectly imperfect creation of the Most High. That above all things, she is greatly loved! I want her to be brave, comfortable with who she is, and proud of what she believes. I feel blessed to have the responsibility that comes with being Reagans' Mom. It is a privilege and best of all.... a gift! I have a feeling we will share many "pearls" with her, God willing they stick.

Feel free to share any of your fun childhood "pearls" with me. I would love to hear them!
Until next time...
Be Blessed!
 

2 comments:

  1. ...blessed to have been "Bailey's Dad"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honesty is the best policy ..my dad used to tell us that. Also...children wait for parents...parents don't wait for children! I remember that one walking home from the mall 3 miles when I was late for Reagan's great grandpa to Pick me and great Aunt Barbara up from the Redlands mall we were teenagers ...lol....hugs Aunt Ruth

    ReplyDelete