Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dear Toddler- Mommy always wins!

Many of you I am sure understand the struggle to cook wholesome, healthy meals for your family while appeasing the appetites of Mom, Dad, & Tot!  Quinoa has become our replacement for rice or mashed potatoes because it is so much healthier for you. Tonight I made a delicious mexican quinoa and shrimp salad (or so I thought). Quinoa, Onion, Garlic, Shrimp, Cilantro, Corn & Black Beans came together in a beautiful symphony of flavors.

Unfortunately my toddler did not share my excitement for this kitchen endeavor, she took one look at the delicious meal I was so very proud of and said "Mommy I don't like it". I was stunned- "But you haven't even tasted it Reagan...." she replies again "Mommy it looks ucky" - why thank you toddler for your bonified food critic break down of my meal. My heart was a little crushed, I have never been a supporter of "Finish your plate or you can't leave the table" but I do believe you should expose your child to bold flavors & textures of food.... so in our house the rule is YOU HAVE TO TRY IT before you decide you don't like it.


Well, tonight's dinner played out a little something like this... dinner is served at 6:00, Reagan refuses to eat it. Mommy insists she take a bite before she gets up..... Reagan refuses. Reagan stalls the inevitable; she throws her doll  down then asks to please get up to get her (nope), she hides her sippy cup behind her and tells me it is lost and she needs to find it ( ha- good try), she fake cries for a bit, she real cries a bit and all the while I calmly remind her she just needs to take 1 bite of food and she can leave. "No WAY"  she responds. So, we sit & sit, &sit..... 6:59 she tries 1 bite of shrimp and looks at me shocked and says "Um- its delicious". Mommy wins! I would never cook something gross and make my family eat it. In fact Joe and I love watching foodie shows and always strive to produce tasty kitchen cuisine. Reagan ate 7 bites and all the shrimp in her bowl before she asked to get up again (PTL) Toddlers are a funny breed, each day is an adventure and I know some day I will look back on things like this and smile.

- "Patience you must have my young padawan" - Yoda

1 comment: