Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chia Seed Jam

I have always been a bit of a carb queen, but after having baby #2 I need to watch my carb intake or pick smarter carbs. This has sent me on a journey to learn about good sugars, bad sugars, protein sources and other fun super foody items like Cha-cha-cha-CHIA seeds!!! Yes, they are funny but they are also an amazing source of nutrients. The addition of Chia Seeds to my diet every day has totally eliminated gas issues in my 13 week old son; so for that reason alone I love them! So today I got creative in the kitchen and came up with an amazing use for Chia seeds! This jam is nice and light, full of protein, antioxidants, omega -3s, calcium, no high fructose corn syrup in this casa, and it is dye and preservative free!! You just can't beat old fashioned, home made! So here it goes- 

Ingredients
1-package fresh strawberries 
2Tbs Water 
2Tbs Agave Nectar (or other sweetener to taste)  
3Tbs Chia Seeds  

Start with one container of fresh strawberries from the grocery store. (they are in season right now and pretty cheap but I guess any berries would work) Wash berries well. Then, chop the berries into quarters and place in a medium saucepan. 


Add 2tbs of water & I used 2 tbs of agave nectar (for a lower calorie option you could use splenda or stevia instead) let this mix boil over medium heat for about ten minutes stirring occasionally. Once strawberries are nice and soft use an emulsion blender and puree the mix. Taste it and add more sweetener if desired. 

If you are happy with your puree, add in 3 tbs of Chia Seeds, remove from heat and stir well. (I get mine from Amazon for about 7.50 a bag)

Let the seeds sit in the mix for 15 minutes so they can gel and ta-da JAM! I used a mason jar for storage but tupperware or an old jelly jar works too! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment