Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Young & The Wristless

Today has been a very challenging day for me. Teething and a snuggly Roo aside, my wrist is killing me! I am pretty much going to drop my PCM (For the non-military this is the Primary Care Manager, or your normal doctor) and find someone who will help me. This "Ice it and take a tylenol and ibuprofen at the same time" thing is not working. I feel so helpless and actually alot like a cripple. I couldn't pick up the shampoo this morning with my hand. I couldn't grip an onion last night to chop it. After a stroller walk today I couldn't get into the house again..... that turning the key thing gets me every stinkin time. Maybe this is God's way of telling me I do too much?? But with Joe's command looming around the corner and me about to take on the FRG monster I don't see how I can slow down. Wearing my brace is starting to make my wrist hurt more..... I iced it alot the last two nights and I can say with certainty that it is worse today than it was the two before.Ugh!

Let me try to describe the situation so you all can understand more and it sounds less like a rambling complaining woman. If you reach out in front of you with your palm to the floor and grip something.... a cup, a remote... whatever; bend your wrist so that the top of your hand is now facing you and your palm is facing outwards WHILE you are griping ____ object. That, I can not do. I get a sharp stabbing pain in my hand and my wrist locks up and my fingers start to release the item. Now, put your arm out like you are going to karate chop something but only "chop" with your hand and wrist. Again.... can't do this at all! Super sharp pain shoots into my thumb and inner wrist and my wrist chops sideways at an angle trying to compensate. VERY odd to tell your hand to do something and to watch your hand try and fail!The firm grip required to hold a thin key and then the wrist motion of turning the key is why I always drop the keys. I refuse to hold Reagan with my bad wrist, for fear of dropping her, so most other things are done with my bad hand. In the instance of the keys, as I twist my wrist to turn the key, sharp stabbing pain, cramp...... keys hit the ground. If anyone has any advice... I AM ALL EARS!!! Its getting to the point where I am done sucking it up and being tough and more worried about the safety issue of my wrist getting any worse. Being able to tote a tot around all day is kinda part of my job description so I have to have a functioning wrist!

I will keep you all updated on how/when I see a new PCM and what he or she says..... Off to ice my wrist and hope for a better evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment